mercredi 12 janvier 2011

Voltage monitoring, first steps

Just like your cellphone, my robot needs to monitor the voltage of its battery to avoid overdischarge. This feature is not yet implemented.
It means that I check quite often the battery with my metrix when playing around with the robot.And it means that I've probably overdischarged the Ni-MH a couple of times...
Monitoring the voltage will also allow to use more efficient and lighter batteries like Lipos, that were not affordable when I started this project.

Today, I tried a simple A/D converter, the ADC0831 to monitor the battery using the BS2. Okay, it was the very first test, so it may look a bit messy :


Wires all over, but it worked just fine :


At this time, the output is an 8-bit value, without any reference voltage or calibration. This will need some math and adjustments in the code... This will be done on the future power supply PCB that I am going to make soon.

To be continued !

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire